Raymond's Tomb

Hyderabad - Heritage Sites 🏯

© Nazimur Rahiman

Hyderabad is known for its rich history, culture and architecture representing its unique character as a meeting point for North and South India, and also its multicultural nature, geographically, culturally and intellectually. Also known as The City of Nizams and The City of Pearls.

Michel Joachim Marie Raymond’s Tomb

20-year-old Michel Raymond left France in 1775 for the Indian shores to become a merchant like his father, but Fate had other plans for him. He joined the French forces in Pondicherry in fighting the British. Their on-and-off skirmishes and Raymond’s role in the French victories brought him into the notice of the Nizam of Hyderabad. He joined the Nizam’s forces in 1786; a step that was to establish and cement his bonds with Hyderabad and its people, and become a part of its lore.

He rose in the ranks rapidly and became a trusted aide of the Nizam, to the extent that a “Gora” was given the crucial position of Amin Jinsi or Comptroller of Ordinance. Once he assumed charge, he revolutionized the artillery of the army and established the Gun foundry, which still stands today as a testimony to his vision. Under his guidance, the Nizam’s army became one of the best fortified and most formidable in the entire region.

Battle was in his blood, but there was more to this man than just the art of war. Raymond was known far and wide as a good, kind man who never looked down upon the local populace unlike many other foreigners. His bravery, contribution to Hyderabad and his loyalty to the Nizam won him many epithets - to the Muslims he was Musa Rahim, and to the Hindus he was Musa Ram (whence the name Musarambagh).

It’s no surprise that when this foreigner died in 1798 at the young age of 43, he was deeply mourned by all. His dear friend the Nizam had a special memorial errected for him on the top of a hillock, and it still stands there today.

The tomb is a black granite obelisk, and it has the initials JR on it. At the foot of the tomb lies a Grecian-styled pavilion, which is said to house the graves of his family. At the bottom of the hill lies another obelisk which was built over the remains of Raymond’s faithful dog and horse. Even in his death, the people of Hyderabad saw to it that he was surrounded by those he loved and who had loved him back.

The years have not been kind to Raymond’s memories, with a handful of people knowing the location of the tomb and the stature of the man interred therein. The dilapidated tomb was rebuilt in April 2003, and an open-air theater around the Grecian pavilion was also constructed. And the tomb is still used as a venue for qawwali evenings held in his memory every year. But what you find when you go there today is weeds, graffiti and a sense of desolation.

The monogrammed tomb has a thin trickle of visitors, even after the renovation. The few people who do find their way there usually spend more time gazing into the panoramic view of Hyderabad that the hill affords. A cursory glance at the tomb and a few sniff of disdain about the disarray is what Raymond has been reduced to.

The story of Michel Raymond stands to become lost to the people of today unless it is retold. Here lies a man who was a saint of sorts to the locals. A lesser known one albeit, but a well-loved one nonetheless. He stands testimony to Hyderabad’s multihued culture, and to the friendliness of the locals who took a stranger from a far-off land into their hearts.

Source: fullhyd.com

How to get there: Going from Malakpet, at the Asmangarh Signals, where the left goes to Amberpet - take a right and go into the lane next to Hotel Sham. The road is steep and climbs crazily, go all the way up and come down the other side. At the bottom of the hill take a left and proceed some 400 mts. Finally you will find a faded grey board pointing to a lane - the Mons Raymond Monument is at the end of that lane lined with houses.

None of the Locals at Moosarambagh area knew about the existence of this tomb! This is the only board which we found. (We got the location after speaking to a policeman at the Malakpet station)

This one picture is sufficient to prove the state of maintenance here!

At the end of this passage, there are encroachments/huts and people are living inside the walls of a Protected monument!

And here’s the proof

Raymond’s sister’s tomb

A brief history

Raymond’s Tomb

J.R Written on the tomb

The rebuilt 28-pillared open structure resembling a Grecian Temple. The caretaker was very knowledgeable and was expressing his helplessness in protecting the monument.

View from the hillock
TV Tower as seen from the tomb
The yellow building in the center is the AsmanGadh Palace

All Photographs are copyrighted.

ERP Consultant | Business Analyst | Test Manager | PRINCE2 Agile Practitioner | Project Lead
comments powered by Disqus